Skip to content


As I move into my fourth week of unemployment, I must say that I kind of enjoy it. Yes I’m anxious about the fact that neither Sam nor I has a permanent job, but I like hanging around and doing things on my own schedule. My last job was stressful–partly due to the nature of the work, but mostly because the center was a disaster waiting to happen. I sometimes dream that I am back there, and when I wake up I’m extremely grateful to be unemployed rather than there. This is not helping my job hunt. The thought of winding up in another bad center makes me very nervous about the whole process. There are a few centers in Ames that I know are good places, but they don’t seem to be hiring at the moment. Until they are, I’m starting to look for other potential employment. But I’m still kind of enjoying my time to myself.

Latest Updates

I didn’t get the Bright Horizons job, but they did put me on their substitute list. Not ideal, but better than nothing. I moved out to Ames on the 16th. I’ve been spending my time unpacking, settling in, sewing curtains, and getting re-acquainted with the city. I’m keeping my eyes open for other jobs, but I expect to have better luck in a couple of weeks when all the college students go home.

In the meantime, I’m starting to work on wedding related stuff. I hope to be sending out invitations in the next week or so. I’ll also be working on things like getting prices for tents, tables, and port-a-potties! It’s exciting!

And yesterday I went to a baseball game with Sam and his dad. :-D

Nothing much

The interview seemed to go fairly well, but I haven’t heard anything back yet. Sam is out apartment hunting. I’m working on cleaning and packing. Keeping fingers crossed.

I’ve been slacking

I spent the 13th through the 16th fetching Doug from Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. It was a pretty uneventful road trip. And a fairly valid excuse for not updating. :-D

I have no such excuse for this past weekend.

The biggest development in that time is that Sam and I have decided we’re going back to the Ames area. The stress of trying to focus on two areas at once was starting to really get to us (especially me). Ames won because that’s the area we want to be in long term. I have a job interview tomorrow at the center I worked in before we went to China. I’m really excited about it, but I’m trying not to get my hopes up too far. Even if I don’t get this job, we’re still moving–hopefully by the end of April.

Emotional (and employment) Rollercoaster

When I had my interview for Early Head Start, I discussed the fact that I don’t drive and don’t have a driver’s license with the ladies who interviewed me (including the center director). They thought it was slightly odd (it is, I know that), but it wouldn’t be a problem since the job doesn’t require any driving. Unfortunately it wasn’t their call to make. Due to bureaucracy, I’ve been passed up for the job.

That pretty well ruined my Tuesday. This was also the week we’d set as our deadline for determining if we’re relocating back to the Ames area–or possibly even back overseas. With the loss of this job, and the fact that Sam seems to be in employment limbo, we decided it was time to start turning our focus back toward central Iowa. Sam still had a potential job here, but he hadn’t heard anything in well over a week. I applied for a couple more jobs in Ames, and tried not to tear my hair out from stress.

Wednesday I got a call from a center here in Davenport, they want me to come in for an interview next week. Thursday morning Sam got an email from the job he’s been waiting to hear from, “We’re sorry, but…” Thursday afternoon Sam got a phone call from the other person at the job he’s been waiting to hear from, “We’d like you to come in to start getting ready to take the position.” Right now we’re not sure if he has the job or not. Even if he does, it’s extremely part-time–10 hours or less a week. Friday I got an email from Bright Horizons in Ames (who I used to work for and I love), they want to do a phone interview early next week.

For the moment we’re leaning toward going wherever I get the job, but the way things have been going I’ll be offered both and we’ll be no closer to making a decision. There are pros and cons to both options, but at this point I’m struggling to step back and look at the whole thing objectively. I don’t know what to do: laugh or cry, go or stay. Whatever we do, the decision will be made in the next couple of weeks.


I have received an unofficial job offer from Davenport Early Head Start. Once my background check clears, I’ll get the “official” offer and I can put in my notice! Yay! I’m excited, but it won’t feel completely real until I actually start the new job. It’ll be tough saying goodbye to some of the kids and families I work with now, but I’m looking forward to getting started in my new center. The background check should take a week or so, then two weeks notice. Hopefully I’ll be starting the new job by the end of March. Until then, I’m just waiting.